National Board Certification (NBCT)
National Board Certification (NBCT) is an advanced teaching credential and a challenging professional development experience offered by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS). NBPTS offers 25 certificates that cover a variety of subject areas and student development levels.
A National Board Teacher Certificate is valid for five (5) years with the opportunity to renew the certification.
To be eligible for National Board Certification, a candidate must have:
- At least three (3) years’ experience as a Pre K – 12 classroom teacher or school counselor in a public or private school
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and;
- A valid teaching license or a license to practice as a school counselor
Certified staff attaining National Board Certification will receive an additional $3,000 stipend annually.
When applying for the National Board Certification stipend, please follow these steps:
1) In order to initiate the $3,000 stipend, submit the National Board Certification Verification Form to the Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources by May 15th.
2) Forward a copy of a valid National Board Certificate by August 31st to the Human Resources Office.
3) Resubmit a valid certification every five (5) years to the Human Resources Office with the National Board Certification Verification Form.