Proposition E Bond Issue Progress
New secure vestibule at Ambrose
New accessibility elevator at Avery
With virtual classes continuing this semester, construction proceeded on several Proposition E bond issue projects, most notably work at Hixson Middle School to build a new gymnasium and two-story academic wing. The Hixson project – which also includes expanding the cafeteria, as well as building a new library and creating a new entrance on South Elm Avenue – is the largest job of any funded by Proposition E. Bond issue work at all schools is scheduled to be complete by the beginning of the 2021-22 school year.
In a report to the Board of Education at the end of October, Chief Financial/Operating Officer Pam Frazier said that footings and foundation work has been completed for Hixson’s new gym/multipurpose room, the two-story classroom wing, the administrative/library area and the cafeteria expansion. Concrete panels for the multipurpose room are in place and structural roof trusses and roof deck are being installed. The contractor is installing steel in the multipurpose room and the academic wing first, then moving to the cafeteria expansion and music addition.
Proposition E also provides funding for a variety of safety, accessibility and security improvements across the district. This year, three large accessibility projects got under way: elevators at Avery, Bristol and Edgar Road schools.
New accessibility elevator at Bristol
New secure vestibule at Edgar Road
The bond issue will also pay for construction of secure vestibules at each school that will include electronically controlled entry devices, secured service windows and video monitoring. You can see an example of this work at the Walter Ambrose Family Center, where the office was relocated closer to the building’s front and the reception area was expanded and integrated into a new secure double-door vestibule.
Other security work includes
- Improved security for classroom and office doors such as glass mitigation and/or replacement where necessary, operable door deadbolts and vision shades
- Exterior doors with improved security measures which may include glass mitigation and/or replacement where necessary, additional door alarms and video monitoring
- Ground-level window security to be addressed by the installation of security film, tinting to disrupt direct vision, blinds or other resolution to prevent, deter interior visibility/entry from ground-level window openings
- Improved building access by installing accessible sidewalks/ramps along with improved wayfinding/signage
- Districtwide communication system
New academic wing and multipurpose room at Hixson